Thursday, April 17, 2008

Concepts of a Steampunk Pirate

A number of people have been wanting to see my concepts, and I remembered I really haven't been paying much attention to my own blog. And no, checking other peoples blog/deviants once a week doesn't constitute as stalking! *ahem* anyways...

I have done other concepts for other things, but haven't uploaded them. I have one I'm keeping back in particular (no idea why, I just am)... but I have blight concepts and such which I may upload after this project. *hrm* okies, enough dancing about...

Currently at school we're doing a character project to be incorporated directly into GameBryo and interestingly enough the character-types we had to choose from were all things that have been done to death. So a big aspect of this project challenge is do develop fresh/unique ideas while still maintaining what the character is about.

I went with the Pirate theme, and opted to incorporate Steampunk into the designs. This first design I really wasn't happy with. I stopped working on it despite it having the traits that gave it the look I sought. I think mostly what bothered me was even if she looks like a pirate, and her attire is modest enough ... she has this, "I belong on a street corner" feel that just didn't sit well with me.

Come to think of it, it just dawned on me that I could have gone with any run-of-the-mill pirate but my thinking thus far has been specifically Pirate Captain... *hrm* anyways I won't deviate, just interesting that I hadn't twigged sooner.


This next concept I was a lot more pleased with, but sadly the only thing to attribute pirate was the sword. And even that I overall plan on weeding out (I'll explain that in the next piccie *smile*).

Ladies can look very sexy in male-ish attire, and that is what I tried blending here. Not male-specifically but a blended mix. I do like this piccie but sadly it's not what I could easily pull off as Pirate while still keeping the general look.

Oh yeah, I always hated Black Beard or Blue-Whatsit. Pansies really, the really ruthless, viscious, feared pirates were girls and it is irksome they get so little attention in the history books. I do know an example, but ... umm well it will come as no-surprise to many that I just can't for the life of me remember her name. *dies*

This picture I am quite pleased with as you can get a strong pirate vibe from her. As before I said I wanted to avoid the stereo-typical cutlass and as you can see I have favoured for dual-machete.
You can't see it in this concept, but the knives will be tucked under the coat around her waist at the back.

Again keeping with the style mentioned earlier, I went with a simpler coat, shirt and vest.

Oh and also it was in my previous concept and was intended from the beginning but her hair has volumous curls, which I understand these days is called drills.
I've been dying todo a concept with these for AGES now and I tried it with another design for something outside of school. But the character was meant to look more tortured than anything but the cute drills just made her look adorable.
However I think I managed to get them in and not achieve ultimate cute-ness with this.

I am still in the process of working on it, but my next concept will be similar to this with the vest and such. Though unlike this one it won't show half-half changes. I do this so I can see what's working and what's not. I will be tucking the head-cloth up a bit and allowing a slight fringe to show. Oh, and I'm taking off the coat, keeping the vest and trying for a little something femanine for the sleeves. *smile*

Hope ya like it so far!

No comments: